Choosing color can be tricky. Whether it be paint for the walls, fabric for the furniture, or picking out new flooring, your décor may seem a little off if you haven’t found the perfect hues to match. Not only are there so many to choose from, but they can look different in the store than they do in your home. The secret to conquering this problem is to understand how to identify a color’s undertone. Here’s how you do it.
- Compare it to other shades – Contrast the color you selected next to others in the same family and see how its original color changes.
- Compare it to complimentary colors – If the blue color you like has any red in it, compare it to green. To see if it has any green in it, compare it to red.
- Look at it in your space – Colors are influenced by the light and their surroundings so place it in the room you wish to use it in and check it throughout the day.
- Take a picture – Sometimes it is easier to spot color differences through photos instead of looking directly at it.
Now that you know how to match colors with ease, here are the big trends on the home front this year. We hope they bring you inspiration.
- Bold prints – Don’t be afraid to wake up your space up with vivid, high contrast colors.
- Blush tones – Blush is the new neutral. It pairs well with grey’s for a calming palette. It can also balance out bold colors like navy or forest green for the daring decorators.
- Geometric patterns – This year is moving away from tight prints to over-sized, loose, asymmetrical shapes.
When it comes to color, it’s what is underneath that counts. Check out GAMINO DÉCOR’S beautiful selection of color and pattern fabrics online or visit our store.